Friday, June 24, 2011

Two (Three) Bean Chili

The following recipe is based on a recipe by Colleen Patrick Goudrea. Don't ask me where I got it. I don't remember. But it is delicious. The original recipe is below. Following the recipe I'll let you know how I modified it based on what was in my kitchen pantry/refrigerator.


Ingredients:
3 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 medium Spanish or yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsps ground cumin
1.5 tsps dry oregano
2 tbsp tomato paste
6 sundried tomatoes, soaked and chopped
1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes (I like Muir Glen fire roasted)
1 can (15 oz) canned corn
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 can (15 oz pinto beans)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1) Saute peppers, onion, garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and cayenne for 5-10 min, until soft and onion is translucent. 
2)  Stir in tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and all the beans.
3) Lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until chili is fragrant and flavorful. Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat. Serve topped with Daiya chedder, if desired.

I didn't have three beans. Well I did but I didn't want to add white beans or garbanzo. So I opted for two cans of black beans and one can of kidney beans. I also added an extra can of corn AND a can of black olives. I used one can of Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes and one can of a regular Del Monte brand diced tomatoes. I only had two bell peppers so that's all I used. And I didn't use any oil. I did a water saute. Oh. I also did not have cilantro. Give me another month and the ones sprouting up in the garden (wild ones!) should be ready for use.


This is good stuff. I like the addition of the cinnamon. And the olives. I heart olives. It took a good deal of energy not to pick them all out of the chili and into my bowl.


We had brown rice with our chili. And fresh chopped round onion to top it off. The dairy eaters in the house added cheese. I didn't even miss it.
Bell peppers and way more garlic than the recipe called for

Most of the cans (one more diced tomatoes and black bean

sundried tomatoes soaked in warm water

Herbs and spices

I love this tomato paste from Whole Foods because you only use the amount you need!

It fed my fam of 6 with plenty for lunch the next day

2 comments:

  1. This looks so 'ono! I'm going to try making it tonight. Do you need to drain and rinse the beans before you add them? If you do than do you add water to the pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Draining and rinsing the beans is a good idea if they are canned beans. They usually have sodium and sometimes sugar in it. I do add a bit of water, it all depends on how thick you like it.

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...