Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grilled Veggies

It's summertime!!! And in my neck of the woods that definitely means grilling. It is seriously TOO DANG COLD to grill in the winter (and we really only have two seasons here in Hawai'i--winter and summer). We live at the 3,000 foot level and it even gets chilly in the summer. my normal attire as of late has been sweatpants and long sleeve t-shirts. Fuzzy house slippers in the house.
While our first grilled dinner of the summer did include a spicy pork for the guys, I made sure there were LOTS and LOTS of vegetables to grill.
I seasoned a couple of them just to see how it would be without the addition of olive oil. Yes, my past life included a healthy heavy dose of olive oil along with some herbs and balsamic vinegar on a few of my veggies. This time I changed it up a bit just to see how I the family would like it without the oil. For the portobellos, I put some balsamic, minced garlic, and freshly ground black pepper in a ziploc and then put the mushrooms (stemmed and "de-gilled") in and let it sit for a couple hours. I did the same with the eggplant (and didn't salt them first to remove some of the water). We also had zucchini, onion, corn, and small peppers (Costco! Much cheaper than bigger ones).
Two of us didn't like the portobellos as much as usual but one did. The eggplants weren't cooked quite enough. I'll go back to salting them and then giving them a quick rinse before seasoning. The zucchini and the rest, plain and simple, were delicious. The show stopper was the corn. Nothing like grilled corn. I did remove the husk though someone suggested leaving it on. But I like the grill marks on the kernel. I just think it makes it taste better that way although i realize that's mostly in my head.
Left portobello is obviously ready to go! No stem. No "gills". Don't know if that's the real term.

Mushrooms soaking in a ziploc. Not environmentally friendly but I can wash them and recycle. 

Raw corn is ALMOST as good as grilled corn. Aren't they beautiful!?

Eggplant is great grilled. Except these ended up needing a bit more time. And no marinade maybe.

I am drooling just looking at the corn

The men must have been hungry because these onions and even the zucchini could have stood a bit more grilling but they were both still quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...