Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Prepping Your Kitchen for the Challenge

It's two more days until the 6 week challenge begins for my fam and friends. I'm a bit excited. Okay, I'm super stoked to say the least. I cannot wait to see and hear the results!!!! Life changing.
That being said, I want to help them prep their kitchens to help make things a little easier. I do believe everyone has to find what works best for them when it comes to meals and their preparation. I know for me it was the biggest adjustment...finding a whole new way of cooking and eating.
That being said I just wanted to make a quick list of things that I buy everytime I go to Costco. Yup. It's a plug for Costco. I HATE GROCERY SHOPPING but I love going to Costco. So I try to pick up as much as I can there because it means I don't have to go to a regular grocery store for a long time. Between Costco and the farmer's market I hardly EVER have to visit a supermarket. And if I do, I ask someone else in the family to go.
Here's my list (for Costco and grocery store):
  • Ground flax seeds (when they have it).
  • Dates (they last a long time so you could buy a couple).
  • Whole wheat tortilla.
  • Whole grain flat buns (great for veggie burgers).
  • Dr Praegers burgers.
  • Pomegranate juice (in cold section) for smoothies. Saw it on Dr. Fuhrman's videos.
  • Canned beans! Black and garbanzo. And kidney if you want. Rinse them before using because they contain sodium and even sugar! Making your own with dried beans is best but they only have pinto beans and it is a HUMUNGANOUS bag.
  • Tomato sauce or diced tomatoes in BIG cans. Way cheaper. Better to make your own with fresh tomatoes but those are so expensive! Use the canned then freeze leftover sauce in baggies or tupperware.
  • All the frozen fruits!! Cherries are extra sweet. Blueberries excellent in smoothies. And mixed fruits too.
  • And buy a few bags of fresh bananas because you want some to go a bit overripe so you can peel and freeze for smoothiesI always throw in a frozen banana or two in the blender. (although bananas are usually cheap at the farmer's market. That would be my first option but for many it's not an option. GO LOCAL when possible).
  • Plain almond or soy milk.
  • Coaches Oats. Faster and easier than steel cut. And cheaper.
  • Tofu.
  • Salsa. Great in veggie tortilla roll ups with romaine and no Refried beans. And with sliced cucumbers.
  • And all the fresh fruits and veggies you can eat within the week because they don't last that long. If they start fading before you're done, FREEZE!
  • Oh. And frozen veggies. Frozen edamame is always good. Great snack that kids usually like.
  • Brown rice.
  • Asian delights - miso, buckwheat soba noodles, vegetarian oyster sauce, shiitake mushrooms (dried), 
  • Nutritional yeast (it will be your new best friend)
  • Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews (if you know someone going to Trader Joeʻs thatʻs where to get cashews)
  • lite coconut milk (or you can use regular and not use as much)

What else do you buy at Costco that sustains you on a plant healthy diet?

4 comments:

  1. Liana, great list! I'm going to stock up this weekend. What about the tofu noodles they sell at down to earth? Could work with lotsa veggies as a potential meal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu noodles are probably unlimited!!! Tofu is a go :-) and with lotsa veggies that is definitely a great meal. Yum, Asian veggie stir fry...lots of garlic. YUM! Welcome aboard, Alyson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also make sure to have a variety of spices in the spice cabinet....cinnamon, paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.
    Fresh/dried herbs are also great to have on hand....basil, Italian parsley, Chinese parsley, oregano, rosemary, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have Frozen Organic Mix Veggies in the Frozen Veggies section at Costco...It also has shelled edamame in the mix of peas, carrots, corn and green beans!

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...