Thursday, June 16, 2011

Black Bean Hummus

I have come to really love hummus. I remember trying it for the first time just a few years ago and I remember liking it but the more and more I eat it the more I like it. And now that I can make a no oil hummus I love it even more. And I am confident that the no oil hummus tastes even better! But today I looked for a change. Actually I looked first at the case of canned black beans I have in the pantry and wondered what I could do with it.
So I perused chapter 9 of Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (the book that changed my life) and sure enough, there was a recipe for black bean hummus. For some reason I knew it would be good so I doubled the recipe right away. I wanted to have enough to take to a friend's house today and some for home. I was not disappointed. At all. You won't be either. Here is the recipe as it reads in the book:


Black Bean Hummus
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, no or low salt, drained
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman’s VegiZest or other no salt seasoning
2 tablespoons raw tahini
2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
pinch paprika, for garnish

Directions:
Blend all ingredients, except the paprika, in a food processor or high powered blender.
Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste.
Garnish with paprika.
Serve with raw vegetables like baby carrots, steamed asparagus spears, broccoli florets, zucchini, cucumber, and romaine lettuce leaves.

Get your copy of Eat To Live (Abridged) now from the App Store. 

Side note about the book: I first bought the audiobook. Liked it so much that I bought the vook (video/book) for my iPad then I bought two paperbacks from Amazon just so I could share it with friends.  Both copies are out for loan right now!
I got every last bit of juice out of one lemon and it produced a perfect 4 tablespoons

See my iPad in the background with the recipe on it?

Getting ready to whirl it all up. Of course I added paprika before reading on...

The finished product is not the prettiest color but it is 'ono

I ate the hummus with cucumber slices. Wonderful. I'm sure it would be just as great with red or yellow peppers. Of course crackers would also be good or I would even use this as a spread in a tortilla veggie wrap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...