Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chocolate Fondue

For dessert tonight (because every once in a while I like to make a dessert for my family, especially since we live plant strong and can't just open up the fridge for some ice cream or open up a box of Big Island Candies) I prepared a chocolate fondue, compliments of The Chef and The Dietician (a.k.a. Chef AJ and Julienana Hever, the plant based dietician. And together they are the chef and the dietician and together they make healthy taste delicious).



It was so delicious. In fact, once my family heard what the ingredients were, my husband said, "Oh, I thought it was chocolate!" That was a compliment. He thought it was the fat laden, sugar-ful chocolate that he grew up with. Nope. The only reason they stopped eating it was because we ran out of fruit and everyone was too full to stand up and get more in the kitchen.

This is a date. There is ONE seed in each date. I didn't know this until a few months ago. It was a rude awakening. I threw the whole thing into my vitamix and the clanking of the seed made quite a racket. Chinese cracked seed came to mind.

The date on the left is opened up to reveal the seed. Easy peasy to remove.

Date syrup is super easy to make. One cup of dates and about one cup of water. Just whirl it up in your food processor. See it whirling?

Smooth date syrup, homemade. I don't even know if they sell this stuff. If they do I don't need to buy it!

Cacao powder, date syrup, vanilla extract (that I made last year0, and some plain almond milk.

Strawberries and bananas are PERFECT for this!

I can't wait to make a truffle or two with the leftovers (another youtube episode 22!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...