Friday, May 27, 2011

No Oil Hummus

I've written previously about Chef AJ. She's great. I want to be like her. Except I'm too scared to cut my hair short. But in every other way, including her charm on her youtubes videos. This recipe comes directly from her (BEST COOKBOOK EVER) book, Unprocessed.
EASY HUMMUS

Ingredients
1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
juice and zest from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic (or more...I think I used more like 6)
pinch of cumin

Method
Drain beans, reserve liquid. In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade process all ingredients until creamy and smooth, adding as much of the liquid as necessary to achieve the desired texture. Chill.

Chef AJ suggests adding different ingredients for variations such as fresh herbs (cilantro or parsley), scallions, roasted red peppers. You can also sub out cannellini beans for the garbanzo.

I made this and as a former regular hummus maker (read into this: TONS OF OLIVE OIL), I can honestly tell you that it tastes GREAT! I seriously don't know what the difference is in taste other than it just feels better when I'm eating it (using my sliced cucumbers or bell peppers pieces) knowing that I am not consuming unnecessary calories through all the oil consumption.

If you try it, leave me a comment, especially if you try one of the variations!




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...