Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mexican Corn Pie

I'm not sure why this dish is called "Mexican" other than it has cornmeal and green chiles but I guess if that helps float the author's boat then it works for me. Corn pie is good enough for me.  This particular recipe comes from Dr. Neal Barnard's Eat Right, Live Longer and the recipe comes from Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D. I found it on NutritionMD. Again, like many of my recipes, I don't remember the trail of surfing that led me to the recipe but I know I'll make it again. I'm sure of it. Because once my family started eating it, I was shocked to hear how much they liked it. I didn't think it was anything to shout about but they kept going back for more! It kind of tasted like there were potatoes in it. No potatoes. I think they liked the fact that it had lots of onions, garlic and corn. We love all three ingredients.
I made a few alterations, only because I didn't have any bell peppers so I threw in some black beans (because I had some leftover in the fridge) and I used two cans of corn (so it was more than the 2 cups). I also used half the salt (trying to cut back) and used regular short grain brown rice rather than basmati. I try not to get too hung up on subbing out ingredients only because we live too far from a grocery store. It's not just a matter of running down to the store. That would take about an hour total.

Mexican Corn Pie

Makes 10 servings
Serve this spicy rice and corn pie with Quick Chili or Black Bean Burritos.
2 1/2 cups water, divided
1 cup dry brown basmati rice
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
3 cups soymilk

Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add rice. Adjust the heat so the water simmers, then cover and cook until rice is tender, about 50 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large ovenproof skillet (see note below), braise onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the remaining 1/2 cup water until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in corn, chilies, cornmeal, salt, cumin, nutritional yeast (if using), soymilk, and cooked rice. Bake for 45 minutes.

Note: If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, bake the pie in a 9"×13" casserole dish.


I had a can of whole chiles (7 oz). More than I needed but I like chiles since they are not spicy hot at all.

Cornmeal

Leftover black beans, I think probably 1/2 can

It looked kind of soupy, almost like a corn chowder


The finished product looks solid though not beautiful



I added some vegetarian refried beans with salsa and avocado, and some salad with pomegranate glaze


 There was only 4 of us and we ate lots. There was a small container of leftovers and we ate it for a mid morning snack. I will definitely make this one again and probably will add the bell pepper and maybe even some chopped broccoli for more color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...