Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lianabars

A friend of mine introduced me to a Larabar. I didn't want to eat it but she assured me it was nutritarian. It had two ingredients; peanuts and dates. YES! I took one bite and fell in love. Hesitantly. That afternoon I went to Target to buy my own secret stash but one look at the price tag made me realize that my love affair with Larabars would not go beyond that first bite.

Until the same friend gave me another one. And then I realized I had to pursue this yummy dessert/snack but on my own turf and not Target's. Seriously, two ingredients? I could do that! I upped it to three ingredients but it'll totally be worth your effort, as little effort as it is.

Lianabars

Ingredients:
2 cups peanuts
4 cups pitted dates (soft ones--Costco dates are perfect for this)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (no added sugar or oil!)


Put the peanuts in a food processor and blend up to a bread crumb texture. Pour it all into a small bowl.

Whir up half of the dates until it forms into a ball.

Add one tablespoon of peanut butter and half of the peanut mixture.

You have to break up the date ball with a spoon so it will blend well.

When it's done blending it will look like this. Pour it into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper or wax paper. Repeat the same process with the other 2 cups of dates, blending, adding a tablespoon of peanut butter, and the rest of the peanuts. Pour it into the same pan.

Dampen your hands. That way you can use your fingers to press down the mixture. Pack it in there well.

My parchment is too short. Yours should be long enough to overlap all the way.  Find something flat and big to press down on the Lianabar slab to flatten it nicely. One of my cookbooks did the job just fine. Refrigerate for two hours.

Remove from the refrigerator and take it out of the pan and place on a cutting board.

Delicious! Perfect texture.

Cut it into pieces that suit you.
Lianabars
And wrap pretty to give to the friend in the office that shares with you.

You don't have to call yours Lianabars. You can call them So Duck Soup bars. Because they are. So Duck Soup.

3 comments:

  1. These look so ʻono! Do you know how many cups of dates are in the container they sell at Costco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I'm gonna guess at least 6-8ish

      Delete
  2. Mahalo! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...