Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cuban Beans & Chard

Learning to take the bulls by the HORN. I know. Sounds a little dramatic. But if you want to be plant strong you really have to get comfortable with altering recipes to either fit your tastebuds OR your pantry and fridge contents. Thus, today's recipe which I have renamed Cuban Beans & Chard, formerly known as Skillet Frijoles Negros (from the cookbook Everyday Happy Herbivore) or Cuban Black Beans with Kale (from Healthy Girl's Kitchen). But I'm gonna credit Lindsay Nixon, the Happy Herbivore, for the brilliance of this recipe. She's a champ and her two cookbooks, The Happy Herbivore as well as Everyday Happy Herbivore, are FULL of fabulous recipes.  Because I lacked two cans of black beans and I wanted greens (but didn't have kale) I had to make several changes to the recipe so here it is!

INGREDIENTS
1/4 - 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced (although you can never get too much garlic)
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger 
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 15 ounce can black beans, undrained
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, undrained4 cupschopped chard (or other greens)
fresh lemon or lime juice to taste


In a deep skillet put a thin layer of broth and saute the onion, garlic and grated ginger. Cook until onions are translucent. Add more broth if necessary.
My onion was VERY large. I love onions.

I love my microplaner

I know some people use a peeler for fresh ginger but I just cut off the skin with a knife.

Microplaner works wonders

Smashing garlic with the side of a large knife makes mincing so much easier


Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and cinnamon. Stir well.






Add beans. Mash some of the beans with the back of a spoon or with a fork. 





Let flavors meld for a few minutes, then add in greens and stir. Cover and let simmer.








Because I had a red bell pepper I added one chopped pepper to the mix.






YUM!
My husband went back for seconds. Even thirds I think. I know I did. I served this with leftover couscous. I had never had anything Cuban that I know of and I suppose it's the cinnamon and cumin make it that way or maybe the beans, I'm not sure. But it was tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...