Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year and No More Resolutions!

Happy New Year!


Okay, now that that's out of the way, here is a new insight for me today: I love jeans like I have never loved jeans before. I have always owned jeans, several pairs at a time, but I never really loved them. They were always too tight somewhere, if not on the hips then on the thighs. And the waist never fit. And they were ALWAYS way way too long. But now jeans fit. And there's always a little give right behind my thighs. And they stretch out after you have them on a bit and now I have to use a belt with them. And I love that. And they feel so good. So so good.

And here is the other good news for this year...it is the VERY FIRST NEW YEAR that I did not make the same damn frickin resolution that I have made every single year since I have had two numbers to my age: LOSE WEIGHT! Don't get me wrong. I still have a few pounds to lose but I am no longer focusing on the weight loss. I am now focusing on maintaining good health! HOORAH!! Said like a Marine! HOORAH!

Oh this is going to be a great year. Can't you feel it?
It started off with a green smoothie for breakfast. I apologize for not really measuring but I really believe you can't go wrong. And if you do, it will be just a LITTLE wrong and you can live with that for one breakfast smoothie right? And then the next day you just readjust til you get it right!
This smoothie made 4 nice size smoothies (grande size if you use those Starbucks clear cups). I usually put 1/3 blender of "greens". Today it was kale. It might be spinach or swiss chard. You could even use romaine or cucumbers. Seriously, whatever GREEN you have. Fresh is best. Then I just throw in whatever fruits, fresh or frozen, that I have. Today it was a whole pear (I just took the stem off and threw the whole fruit in). The pear was ripe (too ripe too eat as I like my pears crisp). One fresh banana. And the rest was the frozen fruits from Costco. Then I put in two tablespoons of ground flax seed, probably 1 1/2 cups of pomegranate juice, 2 cups of soy milk and then I just added water until it almost covered the fruit. I used to not add enough liquid. This puts a strain on the blender so you have to adjust accordingly. I suppose I could lighten up on the fruit and then add ice. But I like to get as much fruit and veggies as I can.

I put the greens in first

Then the fruit, ground flax, then the juice, then milk, and water
So yummy. I may have added a couple of dates for extra sweetness. No one complained about today's smoothies (sometimes they do).

I felt so energized (see what happens when you don't stay up til midnight on New Year's Eve?) that I decided to throw together dinner in the crockpot. I am going to be working on organizing my pantry so I really want to use up any boxes or cans I have before I buy more food products. So I didn't follow a recipe. I just used a package of Indian curry paste and any veggies I had in the fridge. This included a few pieces of broccoli, cauliflower, celery (leftovers from a veggie tray), an onion, some brussel sprouts (yes, brussel sprouts) and a can of garbanzo beans. I put all the veggies in the crockpot, put in the curry paste, added 2 cups of water, stirred it up and put it on high for 7 hours.
When I tried it once it was done it was SPICY! So to tame the heat, I added half a can of coconut milk. Wow. What a winner. I thought it might be too spicy for the husband and daughter, but they loved it. I served it with plain ole couscous. They came back for seconds and thirds. So did I.


It has some oil and sugar but not a whole lot. And I didn't want it to go to waste.

That's the paste. Slips right out of the foil packet.

Plopped the garbanzo beans right on top

The couscous was the perfect complement.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...