Wednesday, April 6, 2011

New Life and Lentil Soup

I can't begin to tell you where I have been, what I've been doing, who I've been doing it with :-) and why I've been doing it. Well, eventually I will but for now know that I am on a new track in life, one that I've never traversed before and I am enjoying the ride!

I absolutely PROMISE to post more regularly.

Oh. And I just returned from San Francisco and enjoyed food in every shape, form, and color.

My Scandinavian self LOVES potatoes in all colors

I love this display of clean carrots

The fresh earthy smell mesmerizes me. The price tag does something else to me.

Love the mold!

Dinner at Espetus

Japanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate Park

In the meantime I have got to use this blog to, at the very least, post the recipes of the foods I am now eating. And hopefully lead you to a few of the NEW blogs I peruse on an almost daily basis. I have been learning to cook in a whole new way. And though difficult at first, I am beginning to enjoy it!

The night before last I made a most delicious lentil soup. Whowouldathought that lentil soup could be so delicious? The recipe called for french lentils but I just used the regular ones in the bag. And I used the whole bag (which I guess is a bit more than 2 cups) and just kinda almost doubled up on the ingredients. It's a fairly forgiving recipe that I found here on epicurious.com. Read through the entire ingredient list and directions and know that I:

1. did not saute veggies in any oil whatsoever. I just put about 1/8 cup of water on the bottom of my pot and water sauted them.
2. I used a tad bit of chicken broth (maybe 1 cup) and the rest was water.
3. I also added potatoes, cut up in small chunks.
4. I didn't use balsamic vinegar.
5. I ended up blending almost all the soup, except for maybe 3 cups and I didn't add any extra broth.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons extra–virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped celery stalks plus chopped celery leaves for garnish
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
  • 1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed, drained
  • 1 14 1/2–ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
  • Balsamic vinegar (optional)
Directions
    Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium–high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups broth, lentils, and tomatoes with juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium–low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
    Transfer 2 cups soup (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to soup in pan; thin soup with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if too thick. Season with salt, pepper, and a splash of vinegar, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with celery leaves.

    Sorry no pictures. But it lasted us for two meals PLUS my lunch.  Definitely a do again-er.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

    S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...