Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tortilla Soup

This recipe is EASY PEASY. And oh so delicious and good for you.

Ingredients
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can corn (or frozen corn)
1 can non-fat refried beans
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup salsa
fresh cilantro (optional) chopped, to your liking
Baked tortilla chips
1 heaping tsp dried oregano
1 heaping tsp ground cumin
pepper to taste
limes, quartered
green onion, chopped (optional)

In a pot, mix together broth, corn, beans, tomato sauce, salsa, oregno, cumin, and pepper. When it is heated through, ladle into soup bowls, add crumbled up tortilla chips and cilantro/green onions. Squeeze in a quarter of a lime. Enjoy.

That's the basic recipe. For me, I doubled it. In fact, I didn't have any canned refried beans, I had some that I made and froze in a ziploc. I just plopped in a BIG piece. At least 2 cans worth. I don't think it would hurt to go a little over on the beans. And maybe even add a can of black beans. And I didn't have enough salsa (I only had 1/4 cup for a doubled recipe) so I added some chopped garlic and chopped round onion to the pot. If I had bell peppers I would have added that, too. And maybe jalapeno. That might be good to spice it up. It's hard to go wrong with this one. And don't forget the lime. It really adds to the taste. For the tortillas I actually took some corn tortillas (which I just love because it is basically stone ground corn. No oil involved), cut them up with a knife and baked them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (turning them half way through). You do away with the salt and oil! And once you crumble them into the soup, it makes no difference. So that made me think that maybe I don't need to bake at all. Next time I'll just cut up the tortillas in strips and add that to the soup.
No fat. YES!
Please excuse the junk pictures. I only had my iPhone.

Getting ready to go into the oven




Done baking!

simmering in the pot
Condiments ready



Oops. Too late for the picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...