Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Raw Apple Crumble

My desserts, of late, has been relegated to delicious smoothies of the chocolate and chai variety. Great stuff. Don't get me wrong. Very dessert like but I usually have them first thing in the morning. Well, lately I've been thinking about a nice after meal dessert, a special treat for the family.

Last night was the perfect opportunity. All the stars aligned. When I got home, Kika (daughter #2) was making a beautiful vegan asparagus soup (presentation and all, no oil, salt, or sugar). She didn't think that would be enough for a filling meal but if dessert was in the mix it would be perfect. There was a bowl of apples that no one was eating (pears seem to be the fruit of choice this week). And all of the other ingredients were in my pantry, too.

I found the recipe via a favorite blog: Healthy Girl's Kitchen. This led me to The Real Meal Today blog. I can't wait for mango season. I may even choose to do a raw pear crumble next week. I certainly can't be eating like this several times a week. Even though it has no refined sugar, dates have a super high sugar content. A once in a while indulgence.

Ingredients
1 cup walnuts or pecans, raw (or roasted would work but wouldn't be "raw")
4 pitted Medjool dates
3 apples, peeled, sliced and diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 apples, peeled, sliced and large diced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 pitted Medjool dates
¼ cup raisins
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg 
Topping:
Blend the walnuts and 4 dates in a food processor until the texture is a little smaller than Grape Nuts. Spoon into a small bowl and set aside. 
Filling: 
Toss the 3 peeled, sliced and diced apples with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and set aside in a medium sized bowl. Next, in the food processor, blend the remaining 2 apples, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 6 pitted dates, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss this mixture with the diced apples.
Place a bit of the apple filling into small dessert dishes and sprinkle with date-nut topping. Serves 6.
This is the topping. I did this first in the food processor.
Getting ready to chop up the 2 cups apple, dates, raisins, lemon juice and spices
Gonna mix the 3 cups apple with 2 cups processed apple mixture
And here it is all mixed up ready to be spooned into bowls
The recipe said it serves 4 but I made all of this! It was lots.
 
Yummy goodness









The next time I make this I may chop up the 3 apples a little smaller. I thought the chunks were a little too big. I loved the topping!! I may even sub cranberries for the raisins. Or maybe try macadamia nuts instead of pecans. Or use mangoes instead of apples. I can't wait for mango season! This would be OH SO WONDERFUL with mangoes. Kika, who loves butter and sugar (don't we all?) and does NOT like nuts, really liked this dessert. As did daughter #3 and husband #1. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...