Friday, April 15, 2011

Raw Curried Cashew Spread

When I first started cooking along nutritarian lines, I have to admit it was way beyond anything I was comfortable with. Not cooking with oil (even olive oil!) and butter (I live for butter!). Not using sugar OR flour. Very very different. I struggled. Ugh. I writhe in pain just thinking about it (figuratively speaking, of course). I search and grasp for anything I can find that has ingredients I can identify and hopefully already have in my pantry. Some have been successful. Some are huge flops. A spicy tempeh (read into this: FAKE MEAT) went straight into the trash (after i fished pieces out of the pan that was inundated with delicious fresh veggies).
Most of the time I can't even remember how I stumbled upon a recipe. But all I can tell you about this one is: IT IS A WINNER. Winner winner vegan dinner. In fact this raw curried cashew spread is so good that I brought it to a VERY important meeting that I am privileged to sit in on today. The leaders of the leaders of a big organization. Whoa. And I served it with multi grain crackers. All good.
This recipe came from one of the blogs I follow on a regular basis. Let me recommend it to you.  Choosing Raw.  Now don't go poopoo-ing eating raw. This is beyond anything you can poopoo. Trust me. Again.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked at least one hour, preferably several)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar, or 3 pitted dates, soaked
1/4 tsp salt (the next ingredient is miso, so if you’re sensitive to salt, start with a little less and add more as needed)
1 tbsp mellow white miso
1 tsp mild (but high quality) curry
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Blend all ingredients in a food processor, stopping a few times to scrape the bowl. When the mix becomes relatively smooth, add a thin stream of water until it’s very creamy, but still thick in texture — akin to a hearty hummus. Serve on its own, in wraps, on salads, or as a dip.

I used the agave because I forgot to soak dates. In fact, I'll admit that I didn't even read that there was an option because I was so excited. Next time I'll use the dates just because I've been reading that agave is just a super small step above regular white sugar. Seriously. Oh and I added a bit more curry and cumin than recommended because I can.

Before

After

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...