I am so failing in the picture posting. SORRY! But I get in such a cooking fury and forget to pause for a good shot! Today, for some reason, I was CRAVING refried beans. Heated up nice they are DEELISH. And I know that you can buy cans of no fat refried beans and I recalled seeing a recipe a while back so I thought what the heck! I'll give it a shot! And with our new challenge to eat as "nutritarians" (look that one up!), I have been buying BEANS. And you know if you buy dried beans...HO DA CHEAP! Yup. Beats the price of the canned stuff HANDS DOWN.
Well you all know that you need to soak dry beans overnight. Unless you own a pressure cooker. Yup. You got it. Here's all you need:
3 cups pinto beans
1 round onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chipotle powder
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
Here's what you do:
1. Measure out 3 cups of dry beans into a pressure cooker (if you don't have one then soak the beans overnight and cook the next day, in a stock pot, for 2 hours until soft). Add enough water to cover beans and 2 inches above beans.
2. Cook in pressure cooker for 50 minutes. Let cool so you can open.
3. Open pressure cooker and add onions and garlic.
4. Cook for 15 more minutes. Release steam so you can open it.
5. Either mash it all up with a potato masher or put it into a bowl and use a mixer (I used my kitchenaid with the whipper on it and just ran it on number 2).
6. All done!
I asked my husband to taste it for me. He did. Then he grabbed himself a bowl and asked for some. At 8:30 pm. And ranted and raved. How do you like that? Fast and healthy. Yum.