Friday, April 29, 2011

Olive Oil - It is not your friend

I know. It was hard for me to believe it, too. I heard so much in the media about the wonders of olive oil, how was good for you, how the Mediterraneans practically drank it and were thin, and on and on. Oh and how I used all that information to my benefit. I bought EVOO (yes, even Rachael Ray, my idol, loves it) by the gallons. From Costco. I used the good news as an excuse to go overboard, frying with olive oil, pouring it on pasta, soaking it up with my bread.

What I didn't factor in is the fact that ALL oil has 120 calories per tablespoon. I could gobble one tablespoon up in one good soak of my baguette. Ounce for ounce oil is one of the most fattening foods you can eat! Don't even think that drizzling it over your asparagus makes it less fattening. It goes straight to your waistline. Mark my words. I know it is true. I watched it do just that. Year. After. Year.

You think the Mediterraneans were thin because of the olive oil? Heck no. They were thin because their traditional diet contained TONS of vegetables. They were thin in SPITE of their olive oil consumption. That's not the case anymore as their diets are changing just as ours changed. Fast food and fats are the evil.

Bottom line is this: Olive oil is fattening. And along with all the other oils AND the other fats out there (think butter, dairy, and all forms of meat), if you eat fat, you get fat. Eliminate them from your diet. Yup. I said it. Stop consuming all of that. Get your healthy oil from raw nuts. Just a handful a day will supply you with all the real goodness fats have to offer you.

Here is a great recipe for a spread or dip found on Gena's website, Choosing Raw...delicious with carrots or any other veggies or spread on a sandwich. It is good. I can vouch for that.

Raw Curried Cashew Spread

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked at least one hour, preferably several)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar, or 3 pitted dates, soaked
1/4 tsp salt (the next ingredient is miso, so if you’re sensitive to salt, start with a little less and add more as needed)
1 tbsp mellow white miso
1 tsp mild (but high quality) curry
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Blend all ingredients in a food processor, stopping a few times to scrape the bowl. When the mix becomes relatively smooth, add a thin stream of water until it’s very creamy, but still thick in texture — akin to a hearty hummus. Serve on its own, in wraps, on salads, or as a dip.

I used the agave because I forgot to soak dates. In fact, I'll admit that I didn't even read that there was an option because I was so excited. Next time I'll use the dates just because I've been reading that agave is just a super small step above regular white sugar. Seriously. Oh and I added a bit more curry and cumin than recommended because I can.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you are inspired to make these changes in your life. You must be feeling the benefits of eating this way!

    Isn't Raw Curried Cashew Spread the most delicious dip? Did you adapt this recipe from the one that Gena from Choosing Raw created?

    Loving your blog! Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wendy, for the great inspiration on your blog! And thanks for pointing out where I got the recipe. I am in such a frenzy for finding recipes that I get lost in the search. You were right! And I've updated my post to give credit where credit is due!
    Can't wait til I get to the point where I can come up with my own recipes, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liana-I rarely come up with my own recipes! I hope I am very clear on my blog that I am a big tester and tweaker of other peoples Nutritarian recipes--that's my forte if you can call it a forte!!! LOL What I do specialize in is transitioning to a plant strong diet and all of the emotional/social issues that come along with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then you and I are on the same boat! I am a tester and definitely a tweaker as I frequently am missing an ingredient or two and it's slim pickings in the boonies on Hawai'i Island! Can't just run to the nearest store.
    You do a fabulous blogging job! You're one of my fave!

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...