Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kika Style Quinoa

I want to introduce you to my 2nd child, Kika Honda, a social worker currently working on O'ahu. She is one of the funniest people I know. They don't come any funnier or wittier than Kika. Oh and if you need to know the right road to take, as in the high road or the left road, she can talk you through it so you know EXACTLY which path to traverse, poetically speaking. Kika loves babies, most especially her niece and nephews. 
Kika and Kanoa (mo'o #2)

Kika and Hulali (mo'o #1)

Kika and Rocket (mo'o #3)



The following is her FIRST guest appearance on So Duck Soup. 
(THANK YOU KIKA!!!)


Baby Duck #2 and Mama Duck
(she is NOT taller than me)


Yesterday, empowered by the fact that I was solely responsible for a 4 month old and kindergartener, I felt compelled to make a colorful and tasty nutritarian feast for my family.
However, being busy with a 4 month old and a kindergartener, I had to make something that could be done fairly quickly, with what we had on hand, and without dirtying TOO many dishes.
I decided on making our go-to "we need to eat something healthy but haven't been shopping in a while" meal...

Quinoa: Whatever-you-have-on-hand Style.

I rummaged through the kitchen and was able to find that we had everything we needed (clockwise, from the top:)



4-5 mini sweet red peppers (any color will do, we had a half bag leftover from Costco)
black beans (one can, rinsed)
corn (one can)
tomato (I prefer cherry or grape but we only had steak, so I squeezed some of the juiciness out so it wouldn't soggy up the salad!)
edamame (from the freezer, just defrosted a cup and a half or so)
red onion (half of a big one)

I chopped everything up, cooked some quinoa (Bring 3 cups water to a boil, add 1 1/2 cups quinoa, boil covered 12 minutes. All water should be absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Remove from heat and keep covered for 15 minutes. It should be ready! And you should be all done chopping, or feeding a baby, or reading to a kindergartener, or praying that their mother returns home soon.)

Throw it all together, add some fresh cilantro, and viola! Dinner is served.



Admittedly, this wasn't the kindergartener's favorite dinner ever. She doesn't love onions or peppers. Her mother and I loved it though which is just as well, since I made a ton and we'll be eating it for a while! Try it with your favorite dressing, or even just some fresh squeezed lime. If your'e in to the salad jars but ran out of lettuce or greens, try making some quinoa instead! You can totally add anything and everything you want.

Over and out, 
Baby Duck #2.

P.S. The kids and I survived, though I fell asleep at 6pm. But everyone was fed!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Guestblogger Baby Duck #2! Fabulous post. It may seem so simple, but for a nutritarian newbie like me, I truly appreciate the quick & easy ideas. Beautiful solution to fried rice cravings. Love the "we need to eat something healthy but haven't been shopping in a while" mana'o. Sounds like my life :)

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...