Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sukiyaki Stir Fry

I am so into the quick meal fixes lately. This meal is definitely EASY and FAST and DELICIOUS!
I used swiss chard as my "greens" because that's what I have growing in my garden. I know it would taste as good and even better with any "choy" you can get at your grocer, farmer's market or garden.

Here are the ingredients:
One can sukiyaki no tomo (it has bean thread [a.k.a. long rice], button mushrooms, bamboo shoots)
two packs long rice (or more, or none. up to you), soaked in hot water
1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water
2-3 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
1/3 cup oyster or mushroom sauce
1-2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1 onion, sliced lengthwise
10 swiss chard leaves, chopped small
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 slices fresh ginger (optional)

I didn't have garlic or ginger. Believe me when I say my fridge is bare. So I sauted an onion in my pot (with a little pam sprayed on the bottom. a water saute would have been fine too). If I had the garlic and ginger I would have added it at the same time with the onion.  When the onion was almost translucent I added the swiss chard, not really worrying about the stems versus leaves. Once that cooked down a bit I added the long rice (water drained out) and mushrooms (water squeezed out), the can of sukiyaki (also drained). In other words, EVERYTHING ELSE. And then I just let it simmer on the stove for about 15-20 minutes. I think the longer the better because then the mushrooms can soak in the flavors better.

Taste it. If it's not flavorful enough, add some more oyster or mushroom sauce and/or tamari. Season to taste is the key to everything. I think a few red pepper flakes would have been good. Or maybe even some mirin.

It was quick. And easy.
Two packs of long rice soaking in hot water (probably 10 minutes max)

One can sukiyaki no tomo (on sale from Longs)

Chard, fresh from the garden

Onion, sliced lengthwise

Chard all chopped up

saute the onions and the chard (just a bit at first)

I squeezed out the shiitake mushrooms and just threw it on the long rice

This is the contents of the can of sukiyaki

threw the long rice, mushrooms and can contents right on tops of swiss chard in the pot and then added everything else

so so delicious

What do you think? Easy enough, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...