Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Banana Chocolate "Ice Cream"

At least once or twice a week, after dinner, my husband has a craving for something sweet (okay, he craves something sweet EVERY night). He took such great care of me yesterday as I recovered from my root canal that I jumped at the chance to prepare him something delicious.

It was so quick and easy I don't know why we don't do it more often. Wait. I do know. Even though it is nutritarian, it does have calories and I don't need extra calories after dinner every night.

If you have a Vitamix or a Champion Juicer you would have the best luck in making this. Try it in your blender and let me know how it turns out.

Ingredients
Frozen ripe bananas (if you chunk them prior to freezing I think it will be much "easier" on your machine)
unsweetened cocoa powder (your favorite brand)

Directions
Throw the bananas in the blender (I used about 7 small bananas, the whole thing. Not chopped up into chunks. But my Vitamix was NOT a happy camper as was evidenced by the awful smell it emitted)
Add a couple tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
BLEND (you really need to use the plunger thing to push the bananas down into the blades)

Be prepared to feast! 
I freeze very ripe bananas (spots on skin). Make sure you peel and cut up bananas before you freeze. I didn't cut up but I wish I did.)

I love dark chocolate. This is now my favorite unsweetened cocoa powder.

Just throw it all together in the vitamix/blender and turn on. Tap it down with the plunger (make sure you have the lid on so your plunger doesn't touch the blades)

I know the picture doesn't do it justice. But believe me--it is better than chocolate ice cream. I kid you not. I'll make it for you if you come to my house. with frozen bananas. And unsweetened cocoa powder. Because by the time you come to my house we will not have any frozen bananas or cocoa powder. I'm having this every night until I run out of the ingredients.

For a bit of a change, add in some peanut butter or almond butter, maybe even some vanilla bean scrapings or extract. Next time I make this I am going to stir in some mac nuts at the end. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so 'ono! And only bananas and cocoa powder?! I have frozen, ripe apple bananas (whole) & regular cocoa powder (<3 dark chocolate better) and a Blendtec. Will try it out and see how my blender holds up.

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...