Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Keeping it Simple

I like to think of myself as a gourmet cook or baker in the kitchen. At times. Like maybe last year. Or the year before that. I mean I was making my own cheese and yogurt. Spaghetti and ravioli! But this year with the demands of work and exercise (I have put that as a priority for this year), I don't have the time I have had in the past. Fortunately, if I have learned anything living a plant strong life it's that I can keep it SIMPLE and be satisfied. Whereas in my former life the more butter, cheese, and sugar I could add to a dish the BETTER, now my motto is: LESS IS MORE! It's a beautiful thing.

Hidden Rose Apple proved to be delicious. A great way to start the day OR end lunch!

The easiest breakfast ever...besides a whole fruit. Oatmeal, slivered almonds and banana.

And if you have blueberries, fresh or frozen, it is a great variation
I like how I can enjoy just a few key ingredients in any dish I might prepare for lunch or dinner. Besides a raw salad (EAT THE SALAD FIRST), I am totally satisfied with simple cooked veggies.

Nothing's much better than brussel sprouts and mushrooms (with garlic!). Saute in water. Add whatever spices.

Roast some asparagus and bell peppers...OMG! Just put it on a pan in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Perfecto mundo!
And just when you think you don't want to eat another leaf of lettuce, MAKE YOUR SALAD PRETTY! I am famous for just throwing romaine in a bowl and calling it a salad. But after a few days I just want to throw it all in the compost pile because it just is not happening. I learned the trick (besides having someone else make it for you).
Variety is the spice of life!

So beautiful! Added bean sprouts on top (on sale!) and it was a great atypical addition!

Only in my later life have I come to enjoy different colored tomatoes. I was strictly a red tomato kinda girl before.

And of course it's all about the dressing!
And then when you just need that break, take your computer or favorite book down to the nearest Starbucks and order yourself a decaf soy latte. The soy does have a bit of sugar in it, but once in a blue moon is just enough to give you that lift we all need once in a while. You deserve a special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...