Friday, November 11, 2011

Dressing is Everything

It seems like it was only yesterday that I was sick of lettuce. Oh wait. It WAS only yesterday. But everyday is a new day. Ad today I finally remembered to buy tahini and capers--two key ingredients in Appetite for Reduction's best dressing recipe ever: Caesar Chavez Dressing.
Now I am a lettuce freak. Whereas yesterday I couldn't even eat the serving I had for lunch, I had three huge servings for dinner. And I don't really think the toppers added much to make me go back for more. And more. Today it was the dressing. I'm going to make more tomorrow because I think I'm going to do many different things with it including using it as a dip, a spread and, well, maybe you can give me more ideas.

The recipe is forgiving. In fact I didn't even take out my measuring spoons and I couldn't find any cashews in my pantry (I found almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, mac nuts and even brazil nuts).  I substituted pecans! HA! I have the book that it came from on my iPad but I also found it here at the favorite blog site of mine.

And since I made so many modifications Iʻll just go ahead and post what I did.

Ingredients I used
3-4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup nuts (preferably cashews!)
1/4 cup round onion (I didn't even chop it up. Just cut off a quarter and threw it in the food processor)
2 tablespoons tahini (the brand I bought is actually called TAHINA and I think it's Arabian or something! Much cheaper than Tahini)
2 tablespoons miso
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 lemons, squeezed
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon capers with some of the brine (not too much or it'll be too salty)
black pepper

The original recipe says to blend it for at least 5 minutes and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides often. I didn't do this but I might try it the next time...with the cashews.  Throw all ingredients in a food processor and blend. Enjoy it on your salad.




Best dressing ever. I am in love with it and never want to try another one again. For a long long time. And now I wish I had more lettuce. A far cry from yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't this dressing awesome! You definitely have to try it with cashews, and try it with shallots instead of the garlic and onion, I think it's about 2 Tbsp. chopped shallot (but I always throw in a little extra cause shallots are yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ever buy shallots but now I will since you recommend it. I can't imagine it getting any better but if it can, then I'm all for it! I want to make a VAT of the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so intrigued. I bought everything for this (except the shallots - shall see what I can do) and will try to make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. am -meh- about lettuce, but the dressing sounds sooo good. will try!! and i think i have some tahini in the way back of the refrig encased in the slab of ice back there. may have to defrost the refrig to make the dressing.

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...