Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sick of Lettuce

I don't know about you but sometimes I am just so sick and tired of lettuce. I don't wanna see another lettuce. I don't care what color it is, if it's romaine or butter or Mānoa. I am totally over it. And it usually happens when I have had a lot of lettuce with very little "toppers" as I call it. Usually because I was too lazy to pack any toppers to take to work. Toppers make all the difference.  Beans. Tomatoes. Cucumbers. Corn. Salsa. Peppers. Artichoke hearts. Asparagus. You get the point. But when it's just lettuce and dressing. Well I get sick of it. bleh. 

And yet I love to have something cold and refreshing before the main course of a meal.  So here's a great throw together salad substitute OR topper. I think most would refer to it as a Southwestern salad but I think it should just be called "throw together anything but lettuce" salad. This one happens to have tomatoes (I love cherry or currant tomatoes...less cutting), corn, bell peppers (the small ones because they are cheaper than the big ones), and black beans.  Then I just squeezed one lemon into it. If you don't have a lemon but you have a nice flavored vinegar (like white balsamic), use that! I add the avocado at the end and give it a light toss since it tends to get a bit mushed otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...