Sunday, October 30, 2011

Long Haul

I'm in this for the long haul. I'm sure I've said this before. I knew the day my first 6 week challenge ended that it would never end. I had tried many different weight loss methods (like most women I know) and while some were more successful than others, eventually any weight I managed to lose crept back up and into my butt. Literally. I watched it make its way there. And while it was creeping up, there seemed to be no way to stop it. It's crazy.

This past week I saw two friends that I hadn't seen in a while (at least over 6 months). The last time I saw both of them I noticed that they had lost a good amount of weight. And they both worked really hard at it. And they looked great! But this time it was them noticing the weight loss in me and then both of them remarking on how the weight was creeping back in...one had gained 10 pounds and one gained 8 pounds. And I asked why. Well, the desserts were so delicious, one said. The other remarked that she wanted to eat more like her family was eating. And she figured that if she just exercised more then she could.

One of my first mantras with Eat to Live was: It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. I repeated that to myself over and over and told it to anyone who would listen. Some got it. Some didn't. I got it. If your choices are plant strong, if you stick with fruits, veggies and beans, it doesn't matter HOW much you eat. EAT TIL YOU DROP if you want to. Those foods are high in nutrients and relatively low in calories.

That's the thing with eating a plant strong diet. You're in it for the long haul. You can pretty much eat til your heart's content. And for most plant strong eaters, you can see yourself doing it forever. Sure there are times when you will indulge but for some reason it becomes more the exception than the rule. Go out to a special celebration and you'll have the creme brulee. Go to a potluck and maybe you'll try those ribs. But for some reason you just don't go overboard. At least that's what I'm seeing with myself and those around me who did the challenge. It's not a diet. It's truly the lifestyle change you should have done a long time ago but at least you can do it now. I've figured it out and I hope I stick with it. I know what I need to do and I firmly believe it's the right thing for me and my body and my health. I feel better than I've felt in a long time. And those around me are feeling the same way. My family's in it (and it took less than a year!) and I look forward to many happy and healthy years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...