Thursday, September 22, 2011

Trying New Things

I pride myself on my ability to try new things. Mostly. But not always. I'm not always game to new fruits and veggies in particular. I mean, I'll try it. Like this:

Jackfruit

Or this:
Dragonfruit

But I won't go out of my way to buy/pick one up and start munching away while sitting under a tree in the forest or at the beach. Even on sale at Safeway, I won't necessarily buy a kiwi even though I've eaten it on several occasions and I really like it. I just never grew up eating them. So it's just not part of my nature.

But now that I'm living a plant strong life and my repertoire of delectables is slightly altered (not limited, not bad, but altered), I think it is in my best interest to stretch out of my comfort zone.

Thus, the kohlrabi. Ah yes. The Kohrabi. What the hell is that, you ask? Maybe not in those terms, but seriously that is what my mind said quietly as I bought a seedling from the seedling man at the open market. Being well read I did recognize the word as a veggie word though I had never ever in my knowledge eaten it. What the heck. I'm game. I'll give it a whirl. Chances of it living in my garden are not that great but I'll give it a shot. And then, wonders of wonders, up popped this:

Right out of my garden

A very bulbous lower stem
Kohlrabi, it turns out, is a member of the cabbage family and is very similar in taste to broccoli.  In fact, you can prepare it much like broccoli. The leaves can be added to salad (didn't opt in that far). The bulb can be cut up and eaten raw or roasted or fried or however you want to prepare it! EASY STUFF! I chose to just julienne the bulb (after peeling it as was suggested on a website because of its size, yay garden) and ate it raw on my salad today. It does taste like the cabbage family which I happen to love. Someone likened it to jicama in looks and texture and I had to agree. Jicama with a bite.

And I will definitely buy it if it goes on sale at Safeway. Do they even sell it at Safeway? Ha!

Top side of the bulb after I removed the leaves/stems

Side view shows where the roots were (dark spots)

I peeled it, sliced it, then julienned. Quite delicious.


What new fruits or veggies have you tried recently? Would you recommend it to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...