Monday, September 19, 2011

Oat Bars (But Better)

I used to love the oatcakes at Starbucks on O'ahu. I was really sad when Starbucks finally came to Hilo and I discovered that they would not be carrying my beloved oatcakes. Apparently they couldn't secure a local baker that could make the IDENTICAL oatcakes that was a bestseller in Honolulu. I loved them not only for their taste but also for the illusion that the delectable yummy morning breakfast ADDITION was a HEALTH FOOD! That was way back in the fat days. Now I know better.

I have since learned that the little hockey puck that put me back a couple bucks is also over 500 calories. Yup. One whole meal. And I would use it as an ADDITION to a meal. OMG.

Fortunately, the perks of having challengers, especially this go round, is having challengers who LOVE TO COOK and BAKE!  Kanani DeSa has come through once again, with a mini and HEALTHY version of the oatcake. She calls it the Oatmeal Bran Zucchini Bar. And this is the telltale sign that her skills far exceed me in the baking category: SHE MADE IT UP HERSELF. I am not capable of that. She wins. And as long as she keeps bringing me her concoctions she will continue to win. Even when she doesn't. Lol.

These bars (she formed them to look like mini muffins. In fact I asked her if she baked them in a muffin tin pan but she didn't. Hand formed. Only the best for me!)

Oatmeal Bran Zucchini Bar - I made it up myself.  Kinda wanted to copy the oat bars @ Jamba Juice. I'll bring you some tomorrow.  Its ono toasted.

3/4 c. Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 c. Old Fashion Oats
1/4 c. Bran
1/4 c. Shredded Coconut
1/2 c. Peacan (Chopped)
1/4 c. Dates (Chopped)
1 c. Shredded Zucchini
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 c. Smashed Bananas (5 bananas)
Mix all ingredients.  Form into square bars.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 30mins.



The pictures really don't do the taste justice. But I suppose it would be the same with the hockey puck Starbucks oatcakes. Gnarly looking. Great tasting. But Kanani's are NUTRITARIAN friendly. And that's what we're all about. Give it a try. Drop a few off at my office. Or as hockey pucks go, mail them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...