Tuesday, October 12, 2010

No Knead Bread

You may have heard of this No Knead Bread, made famous by Mark Bittman in the New York Times a few years ago. He got it from Jim Lahey of Sullivan Street Bakery (I never heard of it either). I made it a couple of times a while back with success so I decided this past weekend that it would be the perfect accompaniment to our pasta dinner. I won't go into the recipe here because you can get it all over the web. Here is one website called Steamy Kitchen that provided great photos. There are even tons of videos in case you need that extra help.
The bread didn't rise as high as I hoped (I think I'll add 1/2 tsp more yeast next time) but it was still delicious beyond anything I usually make in terms of bread with great crust. And it looked great. Very rustic. And I put some baked peeled garlic cloves in one of the loaves and that went over quite well with my garlic loving family.
After mixing flour, yeast, salt and water you just let it sit. For hours. Overnight is best and then some.

It bubbles up

Quite a phenomenon and you can tell by the smell that it's going to be great

After its long sit you plop it out on a floured surface and shape it into a ball. I put mine in a cloth lined bowl. Next time I will put it into an oiled bowl. Remind me.

I know now to put oil and forgo the floured cloth because the bread STUCK to the cloth when it was time to put it into the HOT pot. Lesson learned.

Doesn't it look GREAT?

This all happened before dinner was even served.

1 comment:

  1. I've made it too, but I like your idea of adding the garlic cloves....YUM!

    ReplyDelete

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...