Monday, May 9, 2011

Addict

Addict

Hi. My name is Liana and I am an addict. It's been 13 days since my last taste of sugar, salt, and oil. Yes, I must confess--Easter was all about food.

And I had a huge epiphany. Food is addictive. Yes, I knew it to be true in an intellectual way. But to experience it myself, I had no idea. Sugar, salt and oil/fat are all addictive. Just like coffee. Cigarettes. Alcohol. True. And while it's okay to call someone out for being addicted to drugs or alcohol it's not okay, really, to call someone out for overeating. Make no mistake. Overeating is a sign of addiction to food. And I know you know what I'm talking about. Just finished eating a meal and no more than 40 minutes later you are searching for your next fix...popcorn, a few hersheys Kisses, some delicious roasted, salted cashews, a few Skittles. How about a diet soda? Hmmm...

I started my nutritarian lifestyle (virtually no oil, dairy, salt, and sugar) on February 14. It was difficult at first but by the third week I was really into it. For the first time in my adult life, I didn't overeat. It was weird. As soon as I was full, I would push my plate away. I was amazed. I mean seriously, eating a bean soup, though tasty enough, is not something I dream about at night. I was getting full and feeling satisfied. What a novel idea. In the past, whenever I ate a favorite food (spaghetti, Hawaiian food, corn chowder) I would go way beyond being full. The kind where I just want to roll myself into bed and stay there. Forever. But once my body embraced the delicious nutritious foods i was consuming I was ALL good. No more overeating. At all.

And then I slipped. Food wise. On Easter Sunday. It started out with just a small bit of french toast during breakfast. And pear slices dipped in dark chocolate by noon. When evening arrived it blew up into a full on feast on portuguese sausage chili. I seriously could not stop eating even after I said, out loud, that I was full. I couldn't stop myself. It was an awful feeling. The day after Easter was spent craving a chocolate bar. My first craving in almost 3 months. Not good.

But the good thing is that I know I can fix it. I figured I had two choices at this juncture: I can either give it all up and go back to a happy fat life, obsessing about what my next meal or snack will be. Or I can re-commit and move on and know that in time the cravings will pass. I went back to the program because I know it works. I am committed to the process and know that it is good for my body and therefore good for my children, my husband, and my health.

Are you an addict? Are you ready to commit?

By the way, I'm growing kale in my garden. As soon as it's ready I'm making this yummy coconut curry kale stew in my crockpot. I got it from one of my favorite blogs, Peas and Thank You:

Ingredients (4-6 servings)
1 c. chopped onion
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 t. curry
2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
One 14 oz. can light coconut milk
One 14 oz. can diced organic fire-roasted tomatoes (i.e. Muir Glen)
One 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 c. organic kale, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
  • Place all ingredients, except kale in a slow-cooker and set to low.
  • Cook 4-6 hours.
  • Before serving, add kale and allow to cook for an additional 20-30 minutes or until kale is tender.
  • Season to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOW FOOD FRIDAY

S L O W   F O O D    F R I D A Y Wow. Has it been that long? Don't think I fell off the face of the earth due to my increased weig...